Investigation of 2010 attacks in Moscow metro still on

On March 29th, Russia remembers the victims of the twin bombings in the Moscow metro. The blasts were conducted by two female suicide bombers on March 29, 2010 and killed 40 people. Two years later, all participants of the terror attack have been determined. However, Russian special services still continue searching for their possible associates.

"The Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation continues the investigation of the criminal case. We have information saying there were other people involved in the attacks in the Moscow metro two years ago," Vladimir Markin, an official spokesman for the Committee said.

Terror alert appeared in the Russian capital again on March 28. Security measures in the metro were toughened on Wednesday as a result of several messages heralding possible explosions. For example, a drunk man approached a police officer on Medvedkovo station on Tuesday and said that there would be an explosion in the metro on Wednesday. He did not specify where and when the blasts could happen.

Special services were set on high alert.

The terror attack in the Moscow metro was conducted in the morning of March 29, 2010. The blasts ripped through Lubyanka and Park Kultury stations with a 40-minute interval. The power of the explosives was equivalent to 4 kilos of TNT on Lubyanka and 2 kilos - on Park Kultury.

Forty people were killed, nearly 160 were injured. Twenty-four people were killed on the scene.

"It was quite creepy here during the first two months after the explosions. There were very few people at the station. It seemed to me that people were trying not to use Lubyanka as a metro station as if the blast could repeat again. They preferred to use other stations even if they needed to go up into the city on Lubyanka," Tatiana Smirnova, a witness of the explosion, told the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper.

The second explosion occurred approximately 43 minutes later on Park Kultury station.

"The full circle of suspects in this grave crime has been established. Most of the suspects have been destroyed as a result of special operations conducted within the scope of the investigation. This retaliation is absolutely fair," President Dmitry Medvedev said during the first anniversary of the terrorist act.

The organizers of the explosions - Vagabov and his gunmen - were destroyed by the Russian federal troops in 2010. It was Madomedali Vagabov, who organized the explosions, officials said. The members of his groups were nationals of Dagestan: Gaji Aliyev, Akhmed Rabadanov, Ali Isagajiyev, Shamil Magomednabiyev, Murad Shashayev and Gusein Magomedov. To conduct the explosions, they used two suicide bombers - Mariam Sharipova and Janet Abdullayeva.

The suicide bombers arrived in Moscow from Dagestan by two buses. Sharipova and Abdullayeva were wearing the bombs underneath the clothes. Abdullayeva was not even 18 years old. Having arrived in Moscow, the two women met each other at a bus station. They spent the night in one of the buses and then went to the metro in the morning. Abdullayeva was very nervous. Sharipova was more experienced - she was the wife of terrorist leader Vagabov. She convinced her younger friend to bring it all to the end. Sharipova blew up her bomb on Lubyanka. Abdullayeva did the same on Park Kultury.

Terrorist warlord Doku Umarov tried to claim responsibility for the terrorist acts. However, investigators did not find any evidence to prove his participation in the 2010 metro attacks. 

Subscribe to Pravda.Ru Telegram channel, Facebook, RSS!

Author`s name Dmitry Sudakov