Three suicide bombers who killed 20 people in restaurants on Indonesia's month made videos in which they condemned the West and said they were ready to die, the national police chief said on Friday.
The videos were seized this week as part of raids in which one of Asia's top Islamic militants, Azahari Husin, was killed. It is the first time police have said Indonesian bombers have appeared on tapes ahead of such attacks, a practice common in the Middle East.
"There was a taped video of the three bombers before they carried out their suicide (mission), talking about their belief, arguing that it's permissible to attack targets deemed as obstructing injustice," General Sutanto told Reuters by telephone.
"There was one message to their families, saying they were ready to die and that soon they will be in heaven."
The three bombers walked into crowded restaurants on Bali on October 1, detonating almost simultaneously backpacks filled with explosives. Police have linked the attacks to Azahari,who was the top bomb-maker in Jemaah Islamiah, a shadowy group seen as the Southeast Asian arm of al Qaeda.
Until now, police have given few details about the three suicide bombers, reports Reuters. I.L.
Subscribe to Pravda.Ru Telegram channel, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, RSS!
The Russian forces destroyed a column of NATO armoured vehicles that had been delivered to the Ukrainian army.