Noordin Mohammed Top, the leader of the Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist group, which is linked to al-Qaeda, claimed the responsibility of his organization for the attacks in Indonesia on July 17, 2009. Noordin posted his official statement on radical Islamist Web sites.
Two explosions occurred 5 minutes apart in two fashionable hotels Ritz-Carlton and Marriott, in central Jakarta. The blasts killed 11 people and injured above 50. Among victims there were many foreign tourists.
The police recovered important evidence. A laptop was reported to have been found in the Ritz-Carlton hotel. The laptop contained information and codes, which the bombers may have used to communicate with each other.
The suspicion fell on the al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah. The devices used in the suicide bomber attacks at the Ritz-Carlton and Marriott hotels turned out to be identical to those, used in the previous attacks of the group, the police official said.
Two weeks later Noordin Top publicly claimed the responsibility of his terrorist organization for the explosions. According to his words, the attack at the Ritz-Carlton hotel was aimed at “American lackeys and stooges visiting the hotel.”
“God has given us a blessing for us to find a way to attack the biggest hotel that America owns in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta, where security was very tight making it very difficult to initiate the attack that we did,” Noordin claims in his statement.
It is known that the suicide bombers stayed as guests on the 18th floor in those hotels. Two days before the attack the terrorists managed to smuggle the explosives into the hotels. The suicide bombers attacked the hotels during the breakfast period. The police found in their rooms an unexploded bomb.
The blast in the Ritz Carlton lobby was a warning to the Indonesian authorities against the scheduled friendly match between the British Manchester United football team and the Indonesian team, Noordin Top.
“These players are Christians, so Muslims should not honour and respect these enemies of Allah,” the terrorist wrote in a message which they posted on their website.
The British football players planned to stay at the Ritz-Carlton hotel from July 19, but they canceled the visit to Indonesia after the terrorist attacks.
Except for the Manchester United football players, the attacks targeted ‘the head figures of business and intelligence within the U.S. economy’ that held their meeting in one of the Marriott hotel rooms, Noordin Top said.
“They have major interests in sucking Indonesia’s treasure and financing the U.S. Army to fight against Muslims and Islam,” the message said.
The Marriott had already been targeted by terrorists in August 2003. Twelve people died and 150 were wounded then.
Thus the radical Islamists put into practice their ambitious plan to start the war against world civilization.
Also read: Some connect Jakarta bombings to US intelligence
Bodies of military personnel with American and Polish chevrons on uniforms were found in Avdiivka, adviser to the head of the Donetsk People's Republic said