Freed Paris Hilton quickly gets back to the business of being Paris Hilton

Paris Hilton got out of jail and immediately got back to being Paris Hilton, summoning a hair-salon van and, by her mere presence, creating a huge traffic jam that angered the neighbors.

It appeared that Hilton's plans to serve God in some way, perhaps by creating a halfway house for former ex-convicts like herself, would have to wait at least a day as she readjusted to the simple life of fame and celebrity on Tuesday.

Click here to see photos of Paris Hilton leaving LA county jail

"There's not going to be a press conference today. I just spoke to Mr. Hilton. They have no plans to make any statement," police Sgt. B. Anthony Roberts told reporters assembled outside the front gate of her grandparents' estate as the newly freed heiress kept a low profile inside.

Although Hilton kept out of sight, her presence was still clear up and down the block, from the TV satellite vans that took up so much room on the narrow street that cars could not pass to the fast-food luncheon that was passed along to the assembled masses outside.

"Delivery for Paris from Taco Bell," one of two delivery people who arrived with bags of food said into the intercom outside the front gate.

"Thank you. Give it to the media and the police," a voice from inside the mansion replied.

Her transition back started hours earlier when she was let out of jail shortly after midnight in a seedy section of Lynwood. Hilton managed to transform the event to almost the equivalent of a red-carpet arrival.

With cameras flashing, she walked from jail to a waiting sport utility vehicle by smiling, waving and strutting past the assembled masses in tight jeans and white stiletto heels. She ignored shouted questions, but occasionally said hi or slapped hands with sheriff's deputies holding the photographers at bay until she reached the SUV and hugged her mother.

From there it was a quick drive to fashionable Holmby Hills, home to Playboy magazine founder Hugh Hefner among others, and a stop at her grandparents' house.

As she stayed inside throughout the day, more than a dozen cars pulled up to the gate and were quickly buzzed inside, their occupants declining to talk with reporters. One of those who entered was her spokesman, Elliott Mintz, who declined to comment.

Hilton was scheduled to break her silence Wednesday night with an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live."

At one point Tuesday, a black Cadillac Escalade carrying balloons and a cake with the words "Welcome Home" in pink frosting arrived at her grandparents' home. At another, a van from DreamCatchers Hair Extensions, for which Hilton is the celebrity pitchwoman, passed through the gates. DreamCatchersreceptionist Crystal Armijoconfirmed the heiress was having extensions added to her hair.

A makeup artist arrived on foot with a little pushcart filled with cosmetics. A stylist also walked up to the gate carrying several designer bags filled with stuff.

So what about Hilton's words from jail, issued through various interviews and statements, about how God had given her a second chance and she was going to do something more meaningful with her life.

"Oh please!" said retired attorney Martha Karsh who was out for a morning walk with her 21-year-old daughter, Katie, when she came upon the media onslaught. Until then, she said, she never knew a Hilton lived in the neighborhood.

Karsh and other early morning walkers found the scrum of paparazzi photographers and journalists amusing. As the day progressed and traffic picked up, however, people trapped in the street in their cars with horns honking all around them failed to see the humor.

"I'm trying to get my daughter to her dance class," an angry Mindy Mann said as she called police on her cell phone.

One passing motorist took both hands off the steering wheel to make an obscene gesture to reporters. Roberts, the police sergeant, urged those gathered outside the mansion to park responsibly.

It was driving, not parking, irresponsibly that put Hilton in jail. She failed a field sobriety test after being stopped last September, then got caught twice driving with a suspended license while on probation for reckless driving.

She reported to jail June 3 after walking the red carpet at the MTV Movie Awards but was sent home under house arrest four days later after Sheriff Lee Baca said she developed psychological problems while in jail. Ordered back to jail by her sentencing judge, she remained locked up another 2 1/2 weeks.

He said Hilton had developed a psychological condition that could be life-threatening and that her mental state was "decompensating," or deteriorating. Exacerbating her condition, he said, was the fact she could not tell jailers exactly what medications she had been prescribed and a disagreement between her own physicians on how she should be treated.

"Our doctors said that we had no solution for her medical problem. None," Baca said. "Now I'll say this. I think we all in this room know something about suicide, I think we know something about inmates killing inmates, I think we know something about inmates dying in our jails. As the sheriff of this county, I'm not going to let any inmate die on this, in our jails."

Supervisor Don Knabe questioned whether Hilton was really that ill.

"She looked pretty healthy at the MTV awards before going to jail," he said.

The board took no action.