The Northern Fleet of the Russian Federation has access to the Arctic and Atlantic Oceans from bases on the Barents and Norwegian Seas.
The fleet headquarters and administrative center are located at the main base at Severomorsk with secondary bases elsewhere in the Kola Bay
The fleet was established as part of the Soviet Navy in 1937.
The fleet operated more than 200 submarines ranging from diesel-electric attack (SS) to nuclear-powered ballistic missile (SSBN) classes during the Soviet Era
The Northern Flotilla was formed in early 1933 by transferring patrol boats Smerch and Uragan, D-class submarines Dekabrist (D-1) and Narodovolyets (D-2) and two destroyers from the Baltic Fleet
Another destroyer, another patrol boat, another submarine, and two minesweepers joined the flotilla at Soroka in September 1933
From 1968 to 30 November 2005, the 7th Operational Squadron was the main Atlantic operational force of the fleet. The Museum of the Air Forces of the Northern Fleet was opened on 20 August 1976, in the closed settlement of Safonovo, Murmansk Oblast