A fire caused by a candle inside a tent killed three children and injured three others in quake-hit Kashmir, an official said Friday. The incident happened late Thursday in a village on the outskirts of Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistan-administered Kashmir, said Liaquat Hussain, the deputy commissioner in the region.
The dead included three brothers between ages 2 and 6, he said. The injured, including two children and a 75-year-old man, were taken to a hospital. Hussain said the family had pitched the tent next to their home, which was destroyed by the Oct. 8 quake that struck the region and northwestern Pakistan, killing 87,000 people and making 3.5 million homeless. Since then, many survivors have been living in donated camps.
Several survivors have died or injured in Kashmir and northwestern Pakistan in recent weeks because of fire inside tents, although aid groups have been guiding people how to use stoves and candles in the tents to avoid any damage, reports the AP. I.L.
In a weary world of endless US military interventions, sanctions, trade tariffs and chaos, let’s pause and take stock of the shining house on the hill