According to the Police Service of Northern Ireland 10 officers had been injured during the latest night of violence in Belfast and other parts of the North.
The extent of injuries was not yet known, a spokeswoman said .
Meanwhile, Alliance Party leader David Ford issued a stinging rebuke to Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain for his failure to take action against the loyalist Ulster Volunteer Force.
He said that for months the UVF had been threatening, attacking and killing people in the North, yet the British government had done nothing and still formally recognised its ceasefire.
Last week, said Mr Ford, the Secretary of State admitted he had not even read a report on the UVF produced by the International Monitoring Commission (IMC) three days after it had been delivered to him.
Following the massive violence in Belfast on Saturday, Mr Hain still did nothing against the UVF, he said.
“For months we have seen the (British) government trying to cling to a pathetic pretence of a ceasefire. They have only been concerned at attacks on the state and its forces.
Mr Ford blamed the British government, which can be compared to the Orange Order and unionist politicians in its unwillingness to take a firm stance against the paramilitaries, Ireland Online reports.
Subscribe to Pravda.Ru Telegram channel, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, RSS!
Thousands of pages of secret military plans are to be offered for approval at the upcoming NATO summit in Vilnius