Georgian Interior Minister Koba Narchemashvili said that at the present moment he did not have any grounds to believe that the citizen of Germany, Klaus Detler Greger, who is now on a wanted list, had been kidnapped or killed.
On Thursday, the minister spoke in the Georgian parliament late last night at the request of its members who expressed concern over the report about the disappearance of the citizen of Germany. Koba Narchemashvili said that even after staff-members of the German businessman's firm applied to the police, witnesses assert that they saw Klaus Greger in Tbilisi in the state of alcoholic of intoxication. The minister also said that there were no material evidence in his office that could confirm that he had been kidnapped or killed.
Koba Narchemashvili also called upon the parliamentarians to refrain from a premature reaction in connection with the disappearance of this citizen of Germany. He underscored that "in this tense situation its further hotting up is not in favour of Georgia." In an interview given to the RIA Novosti correspondent chief of the Tbilisi district police office Paata Zhgenti, who had examined the office of the disappeared citizen of Germany, also expressed doubts that Klaus Greger had been kidnapped or killed.
The police chief said that Klaus Greger arrived in Tbilisi about five years ago and worked in a firm of mediatory services in transporting cargoes. Judging by the documents, the incomes of the firm in the past two years were not too big - its four staff members received about 100 laris a month each (some 50 dollars).
Klaus Greger lived in his office which is situated in the centre of Tbilisi. According to the data of the investigation, the disappeared had many friends in Tbilisi.
The last time Greger's friends saw him in Tbilisi on July 1. After an evening-party at one of his friends, one of the guests saw him to the office which he entered and closed the door behind him. The next evening the staff-members of his firm found out that their boss was not in his office or in room where he lived. Then they applied to the police which, after familiarising themselves with the arisen situation, started searches.
Nevertheless, the prosecutor's office found it necessary to launch a criminal case in connection with the possible murder. According to the chief of the district police, "this was done after one of the firm's staff-members discovered in the office's toilet several drops of blood." However. this fact, according to Paata Zhgenti, can hardly confirm the version of the murder.
The strike was defensive in nature and came in response to three attacks on the US military in February