U.S. has blocked the draft statement of the UN Security Council to the press condemning the terrorist attack in Damascus and expressing condolences to the victims and victims' families. The draft statement was prepared by Russia.
"Unfortunately, the U.S. delegation - yet again - has blocked the necessary response to the terrorist attack, linking it to other issues. We consider such efforts to justify the actions of terrorists unacceptable.
"Obviously, the U.S. delegation thus encourages those, who previously targeted American interests, including U.S. diplomatic missions," a press release of the Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the UN said.
The draft statement prepared by Russia included a confirmation of the postulates saying that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes a serious threat to international peace and security and has no justification, and that Security Council members intend to continue to struggle with it in accordance with their obligations under the UN Charter.
Earlier during the day, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the United States strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Damascus, and would discuss the tragic events with the Syrian opposition.
Nuland said the United States did not know yet, who conducted the attack and for what purposes. "We strongly condemn all attacks against civilians or diplomatic missions," said the diplomat, noting that the explosion in Damascus occurred near the Russian Embassy.
When asked whether the United States was going to discuss the incident with the Syrian opposition, which is suspected of the terrorist attack, the State Department official expressed confidence that it would definitely be done.
On Thursday, February 21, a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb in a busy street in front of the headquarters of the ruling Baath Party. The attack killed 53 people and injured more than 230. The victims were mostly local residents, including women and children.
The Russian embassy complex located in the area was damaged as a result of the blast, but no Russian diplomat was injured.
The Russian Armed Forces returned to strategic positions of the first "Surovikin line” east of Robotyne in the Zaporizhzhia direction of hostilities