Two late-night radio shows that discussed sex and drugs were banned by Chinese authorities for being "extremely pornographic."
The latest order from China's broadcast watchdog follows a ban on television shows about cosmetic surgery and sex changes, and the shutdown of a talent show that regulators deemed coarse.
The stations, both in the southwestern province of Sichuan, "aired programs about sex and drugs for two to three hours after 9 p.m. every day," the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television said on its Web site Wednesday.
"The programs contained extremely pornographic material, caused great harm to the psychological development of young people, fouled the social air, and damaged the reputation of China's broadcasting institutions," the administration said.
The two stations were ordered to suspend the shows immediately and punish the producers.
The broadcast watchdog statement did not include the titles of the shows. It was not known how raunchy the shows actually were, although late-night call-in programs featuring sexually explicit conversations and ads for enhancement drugs are common.
The administration said its ban covered all programs that "flout the code of ethics, violate science and civilization or feature sexual content."
That aimed to create "created a harmonious cultural environment for the youth," it said.
Calls to the stations, Sichuan People's Broadcasting and Chengdu People's Broadcasting, rang unanswered Thursday.
The earlier ban on shows about cosmetic surgery and sex changes was apparently provoked by their use of actual cases which were seen as encouraging such practices.
The administration last month also banned a talent show, "The First Time I Was Touched," calling it vulgar and lacking in artistic standards.
After it turned out that Deputy Prime Minister Andrei Belousov included the Fonbet betting company in the list of backbone enterprises that can count on state support, everyone started talking about these bookmakers.