Hundreds of walkers from about 40 local churches joined forces Sunday to fight hunger.
The volunteers gathered at Gring's Mill Recreation Area in Spring Township and headed out on the 28th annual Reading CROP Walk. Organizers hoped to raise $30,000 through donations secured by walkers.
I n its history, the walk has raised more than $750,000.
A quarter of the money raised each year goes to the Greater Berks Food Bank to combat hunger in the local community. The rest is donated to Church World Services to fight hunger internationally.
CROP Hunger Walks are the largest fund-raising events for Church World Service. The first CROP Hunger Walk was in the 1960s. Now more than 2,000 communities across the U.S. join in CROP Hunger Walks each year. One thing that is unique about CROP Hunger Walks is that Church World Service doesn't receive all of the money raised. Up to 25% of the money donated is given to local hunger fighting agencies. And, each person who sponsors a walker can specify whether Church World Service or another global hunger-fighting agency will receive the other 75% of their donation.
Reading Eagle contributed to the report.
Since the likes of the traditional Inauguration Day in the national Capitol are likely never to be witnessed again, take this opportunity from one who has been there to relate some truth about the experience