An explosion caused by a natural gas leak thundered through a section of an apartment building in a Russian city, injuring at least two residents.
The explosion occurred late Wednesday in a four-story apartment building in the Volga River city of Samara, reducing a section of it to rubble, said Viktor Beltsov, a spokesman for Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry. Rescue workers were looking through the debris for more victims, he said.
Beltsov said the explosion appeared to have been caused by a gas leak.
Neglect of safety precautions has led to frequent gas explosions in Russian apartment buildings and public facilities.