A criminal who had hijacked a Vladivostok-Ussuriisk commuter bus has surrendered to law enforcers and is testifying, a source in the interior department of the Maritime Territory, Russia's Far East, told RIA Novosti.
The hijacker has been identified as a 29-year-old Russian national, who worked as an accountant at a company in the Maritime Territory. His name and motives for the hijacking are not being disclosed thus far.
The police cordon near the American consular service in Vladivostok has been removed. Car traffic has resumed.
The gunman hijacked the commuter bus near Vladivostok's railroad terminal on Saturday at 8 a.m. local time.
Earlier reports said there had been no passengers in the bus as they were lying on the floor and could not be seen from outside.
The hijacker stopped the bus when it was leaving the terminal. The bus driver had no right to make a stop and pick up a passenger at that place. The hijacker got in the bus and started complaining. He said that nobody understood him.
The hijacker demanded to take him to the US consular service where he intended to ask for political asylum.
The Federal Security Service (FSB) cordoned off the consular service building, blocked the traffic and activated the Uragan (Hurricane) action plan immediately when it learned the news. Security officials arrived at the scene.
At 9 a.m. local time, the hijacker came into contact with law enforcers and gave in arms after brief negotiations. The hijacker reportedly had an air or a gas pistol.
The hijacker's parents were involved in the negotiations. They said later that their son had threatened the driver with a toy pistol.
The passengers, the driver and the parents are being questioned at the moment.
Law enforcers are checking on the hijackers' sanity.
The Russian Armed Forces continue their offensive in the Krasny Lyman direction, an official speaker for the Russian Defence Ministry Lieutenant-General Igor Konashenkov told reporters on December 7