A series of explosions ripped through the Baksanskaya Hydropower plant in the Kabardino-Balkaria Republic, in Russia's Northern Caucasus. An official representing Russia's largest power company RusHydro stated that it was most likely a terrorist attack. Two security guards were killed and two employees of the power plant were hospitalized. Terrorists killed the guards with automatic fire and wounded two employees, RIA Novosti reports.
"Unidentified individuals entered the power plant at 4:20 a.m. Moscow time and installed several explosive devices. The first explosion occurred at 5:20 a.m." a law-enforcement officer told Interfax.
Four devices have detonated in the turbine room of the Baksanskaya Hydropower Plant. One of the devices was detected and neutralized. Bomb technicians arranged the fourth explosion to neutralize the explosive device.
As of 9:30 a.m. July 21, EMERCOM specialists have put out the fire that broke out after the explosions.
The blasts damaged two of the three power generating units. The hydraulic engineering installations received no damage, officials said. There is no danger of flooding or disruptions in the operation of the hydropower plant.
The Baksanskaya Hydropower Plant was built on the Baksan River in Kabardino-Balkaria during 1930-1936. The station laid the foundation for the development of the hydraulic power industry in the republic as well as in Russia's Stavropol region. The station was built by Russian specialists and local residents - peasants and shepherds. The latter mastered the new profession, received necessary skills and stayed to work at the station afterwards.
The 25-megawatt station was built very quickly despite the use of primitive construction technologies. The first power generating unit was launched in September 1936; the station started full operation in 1939.
Nowadays, the Baksanskaya Hydropower Plant is a structure of RusHydro's division in Kabardino-Balkaria.
Subscribe to Pravda.Ru Telegram channel, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, RSS!
The Russian forces destroyed a column of NATO armoured vehicles that had been delivered to the Ukrainian army.