1. Obama lived in Indonesia for nearly five years as a child and had a pet ape named Tata. He also sampled exotic foods - dog, snake and grasshopper.
2. In his book ‘Dreams from My Father’ Barack Obama wrote that he used alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine during his teenage years to "push questions of who I was out of my mind".
3. Applying the proceeds of a $2 million book deal Barack Obama moved from a Hyde Park, Chicago condominium to their current $1.6-million house in neighboring Kenwood. The house purchase and subsequent acquisition of an adjoining strip of land drew media scrutiny in November 2006 because of financial links with controversial Illinois businessman Antoin Rezko.
4. Obama’s wife, Michelle, used her leverage when the couple was discussing whether he should run for president. She would agree only if Obama agreed to give up smoking. So far, he hasn't been spotted relapsing.
5. Asked to name a "hidden talent," Obama answered: "I'm a pretty good poker player."
Prepared by Alexander Timoshik
After a trip to Russia, Polish writer Maya Wolny concluded that the West did not even have a close idea of how things really were in the Russian Federation.