French former hostages back from Yemen

Four French tourists who were held hostage for two weeks in Yemen returned to France on Wednesday two days after they were freed.

The former hostages arrived on an early morning flight to Paris' Roissy-Charles de Gaulle airport, where they were welcomed by French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy.

The four men were kidnapped Sept. 10 as they headed south to the Yemeni port city of Aden in a convoy. They were released on Monday. It was the latest in a long series of kidnappings by Yemeni tribesman to win concessions from their government.

Douste-Blazy said France had had no direct contact with the kidnappers, reports AP.

"The Yemeni authorities alone led these discussions and reached an agreement," he said.

At the airport, the former hostages appeared before reporters but refused to give their names. One of the men said they had been well treated but were looking forward to being reunited with their families and some peace and quiet.