New power plant to be constructed by U.S. energy giant AES in Bulgaria

The first unit of the Maritza-Iztok 1 coal-fired plant is expected to begin operation in three years, said spokeswoman Lilyana Zagorcheva. The entire facility, which is being built near the town of Galabovo by AES subcontractor Alstom, a French company, should be completed by the end of 2009.

Bulgaria "demonstrated sustained economic growth, political stability and good opportunities in the energy sector," AES President Paul Hanrahan said in a company statement. "We believe our new plant will help supply Bulgaria's growing electricity needs and maintain the country's position as an energy hub in the region."

AES is funding 30 percent of the project costs, while the remaining 70 percent is being loaned by a consortium of ING Bank, Calyon, BNP Paribas and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.

The plant is supported by a 15-year lignite supply agreement with the state-owned mining company, Maritza East Mines, and a 15-year power purchase agreement with Bulgaria's state-owned electricity monopoly, NEC, the Ap reports.

AES and the Bulgarian government first agreed to build a 670-megawatt power plant at the Maritsa-Iztok complex in central Bulgaria in 2001. The project was to be completed by 2007, but was delayed due to a lack of funds.

Subscribe to Pravda.Ru Telegram channel, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, RSS!

Author`s name: Editorial Team