Four men have been detained in Denmark on suspicion of belonging to a network planning a suicide terror attack in Europe, police said Friday.
The men, all Danish Muslims aged 16 to 20, were arrested Thursday morning. At a court hearing late Thursday they were ordered held in jail until Nov. 16 as police continue the investigation, police spokesman Joern Bro said. He declined to give details, saying only the network had planned to carry out the suicide attack in Europe.
Danish media quoted Bro as saying that the arrests in Copenhagen were linked to an investigation in the Balkans in which arrests were made and large quantities of explosives were found on Oct. 19.
He did not specify where the Balkan investigation took place but Bosnian police last week arrested three people in Sarajevo on suspicion of preparing terrorist activities. Police said they found explosives, firearms and other military equipment in connection with those arrests on Oct. 19-20.
According to Sarajevo's Dnevni Avaz daily newspaper, one of the three suspects was an 18-year-old who was preparing a suicide bomb attack on the Sarajevo embassy of an European Union country.
The Danish suspects, who were not identified, were ordered detained at a court hearing in Glostrup, a suburb of Copenhagen, AP reported. V.A.
One should expect a winter escalation of hostilities. We will definitely see it either in December or early next year. There is no reason for a break - only a small part of the mobilised has been deployed to the zone of the special operation yet