Scientists of the University of California in Los Angeles made the list of most useful drinks in the world. The list is based on the content of antioxidants in beverages.
The word ‘antioxidant’ has become extremely popular nowadays, largely because of commercial advertising. Nearly every company making tea, yoghurts, etc, considers it necessary to label their products as “contains antioxidants,” although not many people know what it actually means.
Antioxidant is a collective name for elements capable of fighting free radicals. Free radicals in their turn represent special molecules capable of destroying other molecules and even body cells. They normally are supposed to fight viruses and bacteria, take part in the production of hormones and other vital processes. However, the quantity of free radicals in the body increases as years go by, the body becomes unable to control them, and the radicals begin to wreck the body from within.
Many dangerous diseases (including cancer, arthritis, heart and ulcer ailments, etc) and even the process of aging develop due to the appearance of free radicals, medics say.
Antioxidants can protect people against those problems. Vitamins A, C, E and such elements and zinc, selenium, glutathione and some others are categorized as antioxidants. They can be separately found in a great number of foodstuffs, although it is very hard to find them all in one place and in large quantities. Scientists used this guideline in their work to make the list of world’s most useful beverages.
1. Pomegranate juice. In addition to the elements mentioned above, it contains calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and natrium. It is highly beneficial to the cardiovascular system. This juice is not recommended to those suffering from ulcers or acidity.
2. Red wine. This beverage is known for its abilities to prevent the development of cancer diseases. Many dietitians recommend taking about 30 grams of red wine every day with food.
3. Grapefruit juice. Contains many group B vitamins, which are very good for hair and nails, as well as ascorbic acid, which fights microbes. In addition, grapefruit juice allows to keep good memory, fights breast cancer and maintains skin resilience.
4. Blackberry juice. Blackberry is known for its ability to enhance eyesight and fight diarrhea. This berry also fights diabetes, prevents the development of gum diseases and preserves the youth of the entire body.
5. Cherry juice. Contains vitamin A necessary for teeth and eyes, iron and vitamin C (fights infections). It also cuts the risk of developing many types of cancer.
6. Acai juice. This fruit contains special herbal pigments that moisturize skin and prevent its aging. The fruit also has many fatty acids required for the normal work of the brain and the nervous system.
7. Cranberry juice . Produces antipyretic action and helps during common cold. The juice also relieves the body of toxins, produces a strong diuretic action and does not wash potassium out.
8. Orange juice. Increases the body resistance to flu, removes fatigue, activates brain functions and strengthens blood vessels.
9. Tea. The sort does not matter, although it should not be bottled tea available in grocery stores. This is an invigorating beverage that fights heart diseases and various infections.
10. Apple juice. Can be used during atherosclerosis, liver, urinary bladder and kidney diseases.
Arguments and Facts
Thousands of pages of secret military plans are to be offered for approval at the upcoming NATO summit in Vilnius